Got a new HP LaserJet 1300. Set it up on the W2k box. Shared it on the network. I needed to print to it from my Linux machines so I setup CUPS (apt-get install cupsys - the best open source printing solution IMHO). The problem I seemed to be having was that I was using SMB printing from the Linux workstation and CUPS needed the device URI for SMB. I was getting the error in the CUPS log "SMB tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" with the URI I was using. This is a SAMBA (SMB) error which almost always means permission problems or username password problem. I was not supplying a U and P so I went to find the correct parameters for SMB URI's. After some quick googling I found the correct line for SMB device URI should be: "smb://windowsusername:password@workgroup/workstation/printersharename" (without quotes). Printer fired right up after that.
To get the printing working right I installed the package "gs-esp" (ghostscript esp) on Debian.
Next job was to get OpenOffice.org to print a word doc (Yuck!) to the new laser. Since I use KDE I just used Kprinter. In the KDE menu there is an OpenOffice.org group with a program called "OpenOffice.org Printer Administration" . In there just click "New Printer" then "Add a Printer" selected the laserjet4 (which works great for most laserjets). Then the important part was next. Enter the command for appropriate for this device which for Kprinter is: "kprinter --stdin". The document printed right up after that. Good stuff. I use the same kprinter line to print from xpdf also.