After installing a new version of OpenOffice (1.1.1) using Debian's apt-get from unstable I did have one other problem. Everytime I started it up from the K Desktop menu it crashed. I wish I could remember what the error box said but I can't. But to fix it I deleted the directories ".openoffice" and the file ".sversionrc" in my home dir. I beleive that doing two upgrades before this from 1.0 and 1.1 must have messed up the config files that caused compatibility problems.
After getting it started I had a problem of the spell checker saying that every word was mispelled (underlining it in red) even if it was spelled correctly. Seems that I had to install the package named "myspell-en-us" (the debain package name) which had the dictionary.