pantz.org banner
YouTube html5 buffering issues
Posted on 03-03-2013 19:07:33 UTC | Updated on 07-27-2013 18:35:45 UTC
Section: /software/html/ | Permanent Link

UPDATE:So it looks like the primary issue was Verizon and their ISP peering point. The HTML5 fix below did fix the issue for a day or so, but it started back up again. Many other Verizon customers where having this same issue. Verizon finally fixed this a few months ago and I have been good ever since.

Let me start by saying I love loved YouTube's html5 trial. It was so great to be able to watch videos without using crappy Adobe flash. Being able to run videos at 1.5x and 2x was just amazing. I started my html5 trial in the middle of last year sometime. It was going fine until about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

The issue

I started having buffering issues with all my html5 videos. They would start to play and then would constantly stop to buffer for more data. Watching the bandwidth of my workstation it was going at a max of 60K/sec down. That was not cutting it at all. Usually YouTube gives you a big burst of data in the beginning of the video and then throttles it back to a few hundred KB a second.

Who's issue is this?

I started checking my download speeds at speed testing sites and it was working fine. Checked my firewall and it looked fine. I could not figure it out. About a week later I'm telling someone at work talking about my issue. He says "That's funny I'm having the same issue lately". Another guy pipes up and says he was having that issue also, but he had fixed it.

The fix

He tells me he finally narrowed it down to the html5 test beta. Once he dropped out of that the videos started playing with flash again and everything was back to normal. I told him I would try that when I got home. Sure enough turning off the html5 trial fixed the issue. I could hardly believe it so I decided to do a test.

The test

I used Calomel.org's fantastic YouTube download script for my test. I picked a video and downloaded it without being in the html5 trial. It downloaded an 85Meg video in about 5 seconds. I go back in to the browser and turn on html5. Then download the same video again. I'm back to being capped at ~65K/sec. It was taking forever to download. I killed that and turned off html5 again. Video downloaded in about 10 seconds this time. Much much faster than being in the trial. One other thing I checked was this cool YouTube speed test page. It said my avg bandwidth for the last month was 14Mbps. So I know it was not my connection to them that is the issue.

Conclusions

By using this wget script it eliminated the browser and flash as being the fix. Just by being marked as being in the html5 trial was the issue. It seems there is some issue with YouTube and html5 right now for a few friends and myself. If I had to venture a guess at the issue, I would say they have code that will throttle html5 people differently from everyone else and they have an issue with that code right now. I do hope it will be fixed. I know it worked fine for months before this, so it should be possible to fix.

Reddit!

Related stories


RSS Feed RSS feed logo

About


3com

3ware

alsa

alsactl

alsamixer

amd

android

apache

areca

arm

ati

auditd

awk

badblocks

bash

bind

bios

bonnie

cable

carp

cat5

cdrom

cellphone

centos

chart

chrome

chromebook

cifs

cisco

cloudera

comcast

commands

comodo

compiz-fusion

corsair

cpufreq

cpufrequtils

cpuspeed

cron

crontab

crossover

cu

cups

cvs

database

dbus

dd

dd_rescue

ddclient

debian

decimal

dhclient

dhcp

diagnostic

diskexplorer

disks

dkim

dns

dos

dovecot

drac

dsniff

dvdauthor

e-mail

echo

editor

emerald

ethernet

expect

ext3

ext4

fat32

fedora

fetchmail

fiber

filesystems

firefox

firewall

flac

flexlm

floppy

flowtools

fonts

format

freebsd

ftp

gdm

gmail

gnome

google

greasemonkey

greylisting

growisofs

grub

hacking

hadoop

harddrive

hba

hex

hfsc

html

html5

http

https

hulu

idl

ie

ilo

intel

ios

iperf

ipmi

iptables

ipv6

irix

javascript

kde

kernel

kickstart

kmail

kprinter

krecord

kubuntu

kvm

lame

ldap

linux

logfile

lp

lpq

lpr

maradns

matlab

memory

mencoder

mhdd

mkinitrd

mkisofs

moinmoin

motherboard

mouse

movemail

mplayer

multitail

mutt

myodbc

mysql

mythtv

nagios

nameserver

netflix

netflow

nginx

nic

ntfs

ntp

nvidia

odbc

openbsd

openntpd

openoffice

openssh

openssl

openvpn

opteron

parted

partimage

patch

perl

pf

pfflowd

pfsync

photorec

php

pop3

pop3s

ports

postfix

power

procmail

proftpd

proxy

pulseaudio

putty

pxe

python

qemu

r-studio

raid

recovery

redhat

router

rpc

rsync

ruby

saltstack

samba

schedule

screen

scsi

seagate

seatools

sed

sendmail

sgi

shell

siw

smtp

snort

solaris

soundcard

sox

spam

spamd

spf

spotify

sql

sqlite

squid

srs

ssh

ssh.com

ssl

su

subnet

subversion

sudo

sun

supermicro

switches

symbols

syslinux

syslog

systemd

systemrescuecd

t1

tcpip

tcpwrappers

telnet

terminal

testdisk

tftp

thttpd

thunderbird

timezone

ting

tls

tools

tr

trac

tuning

tunnel

ubuntu

unbound

vi

vpn

wget

wiki

windows

windowsxp

wireless

wpa_supplicant

x

xauth

xfree86

xfs

xinearama

xmms

youtube

zdump

zeromq

zic

zlib